Hi I am Steve King
This picture is me with the Honey Monster at the British Par 3 Championships at Nailcote Hall , in case you’re wondering, I’m the one in Red!
I love playing and watching golf and you can regularly find me on the golf course, no matter the weather.
I have played a lot of competition golf on Amateur Tours, such as the Fore Tour, Volvo Amateur Tour (Now the StaySure Tour) and played in events such as the Trilby Tour
I was once runner-up in the Daily Mail National Match Play Singles. I played 8 rounds of match play to then find out the final was a 4 player stableford competition. Not cool!
This was quite disappointing at the time but turned out to be the catalyst for me creating Fore King Golf
I hope you enjoy the content and the competitions that I arrange and I look forward to seeing you on the course
My aim with this site is to help beginner and high handicap golfers to improve their game with free online golf lessons.
The Fore King Golf YouTube Channel exclusively features the Weekend Golfers Academy hosted by PGA Professional Richard Lawless.
> > Find Out More About Richard < <
Why ‘Fore King’ Golf
I love playing golf myself and I am very competitive by nature, but no matter how well I’ve played, like most golfers, I always feel like I’ve left some shots out there on the course, which does bring out the F word from time to time (FORE!)
I have played off single figures for the last 20 years but like most golfers have good days and bad days.
I’m currently a member of Orchardleigh Golf Club and I am also a member of the Hercules Golf Society – I served in the Royal Air Force hence the connection to the Society.
Fore King Golf sponsor a Hercules Golf Society event each year and a pairs competition was introduced in the 2019 season and will continue to be played annually, where the winners get to join me, as my playing partners, in an end of season Event.
I love playing in Team Events and Pro-AM’s, especially with my good friend Touring Pro Matt Mumford, who has just overtaken me in the Hole-In-One Stakes 6 to 5
My Golfing Milestones
This is a set of milestones I read in Golf Monthly and for me this is still a work in progress
- Break 100 ✔
- Join a Club or Society ✔
- Get a handicap ✔
- Complete a round with the same ball you started with ✔
- Make a par ✔
- Break 90 ✔
- Get a handicap cut ✔
- Make a birdie ✔
- Represent your golf club or society in a match ✔
- Hit a par 5 green in two ✔
- Win a Club/Society competition ✔
- Drive a par 4 green in one ✔
- Play a round with no double bogeys or worse ✔
- Hit all the fairways in one round (not a chance)
- Break 80 ✔
- Play in a Pro-AM ✔
- Play nine holes in level par or better ✔
- Make back-to-back birdies ✔ (-5 for four holes)
- Make an eagle ✔
- Make a 2 on a par 4 ✔
- Get your handicap into single figures ✔
- Get your handicap to 4.4 or below (lowest 5.1)
- Win an Open Competition ✔
- Break 75 ✔ (shot +1 about a dozen times)
- Play 18 holes in level par or better (nope)
- Break 70 (this would give me most joy)
- Get your handicap to scratch (A Big NOPE)
- Play a bogey-free round (nope)
- Win your club championship (3rd place 3 times)
- Hit all 18 greens in regulation in one round (I did 16)
- Make an albatross (about 4 foot away is my best effort)
- Make a hole-in-one ✔✔✔✔✔ (I’ve had 5 and I would trade them all for a sub 70 round on a par 72)
From a personal game development point of view I have attained my PGA ASQ Level 1 Coaching Accreditation, learned some basic club-fitting and passed the R&A Level One Rules exam.